If you have an online business or you use your laptop for work while travelling, it’ll likely be the most valuable and invaluable piece of equipment you’ll have on you, so it’s crucial that you house it in a bag that’s durable, comfortable and easy to carry around. Here are 10 of the best laptop backpacks in 2017 compared and reviewed, suitable for both men and women.
Prefer to roll around with a laptop bag instead? Then check out our Top 10 Best Wheeled Laptop Bags.Scroll across at the bottom of the table / mobile and tablet users just swipe...
|Construction||Polyester||Nylon||Dobby Nylon||• Polyester|
• PU Leather Base
|1680D Water-Resistant Oxford Surface Nylon||N/A||100% PET Polyester Fibre / Water-Resistant Bottom||PVC Free Polyester||Polyester / Nylon||Ballistic Fabric||Construction|
|Capacity||24 Litres||N/A||32 Litres||31 Litres||40 Litres||24 Litres||27.47 Litres||N/A||13 Litres||N/A||Capacity|
|Suits Laptops||Up to 16" Screens||Up to 15.6" Screens||• Up to 15" Screens|
• Laptop Compartment - 38 x 28 x 3
|Up to 17" Screens||• Up to 15.6" Screens|
• Laptop Compartment - 38.7 x 2.5 x 26.5 cm
|• MacBook Pro 15" & MacBook Pro 17"|
• Or similar sized laptops
|• Up to 15.6" Screens|
• Laptop Compartment - 38.7 x 2.5 x 26.5 cm
|• Up to 14.1" Screens|
• Laptop Compartment - 36.3 x 25.1 x 4.3 cm
|• Up to 17" Screens|
• Laptop Compartment - 40.5 x 31.5 x 3.5 cm
|Up to 15.6" Screens||Suits Laptops|
|Padded Laptop Compartment||Padded Laptop Compartment|
|Checkpoint Friendly||Checkpoint Friendly|
|Lockable Zippers||Lockable Zippers|
|Ventilated Back||Ventilated Back|
|Luggage Handle Pass||Luggage Handle Pass|
|Hand Luggage||Hand Luggage|
|Dimensions||46 x 5 x 37 cm||16 x 33 x 48 cm||32 x 31 x 47 cm||48.3 x 21.6 x 35.6 cm||48 x 33 x 22 cm||38 x 25 x 50 cm||48 x 33 x 18 cm||16 x 34 x 44 cm||51 x 14 x 16 cm||47 x 36.8 cm||Dimensions|
|Weight||1.5 kg||0.79 kg||0.82 kg||1 kg||0.95 kg||1.7 kg||0.86 kg||0.57 kg||0.9 kg||0.86 kg||Weight|
|Warranty||3 years||N/A||25 years||3 years||N/A||3 years||Limited Lifetime||25 years||Limited Lifetime||Limited Lifetime||Warranty|
Top Features | Best Laptop Backpacks
- Our Rating – This is our own opinion based on product research of our own and other people’s usage and feedback. Clicking through to one of the featured products directs you to Amazon UK’s product page, where you’ll find genuine customer reviews. We highly recommend that you read what they say about the model you’re interested in.
- Capacity – This is the total available space within all the backpack’s compartments. Bear in mind, the design of the backpack often determines what you can put inside. For example, a rectangular design is more suited for big folders and books.
- Suits Laptops – What good is a laptop backpack if it cannot fit your laptop snugly inside its laptop compartment? You will find many laptop backpacks state its laptop capacity in screen size. This can often be a bit misleading as laptops have varying sized edges. For more accuracy, it’s better to know the actual dimensions of the laptop compartment.
- Checkpoint Friendly – Is the laptop compartment able to fold flat for easier and faster security scans at the airport? This useful feature is supposed to allow you to keep your laptop (and or tablet) inside the backpack instead of taking it out when going through airport security scans. However, for many international airports, you’ll still be required to take your laptop out regardless of if it has a ‘checkpoint friendly’ compartment or not. That doesn’t render it useless though, as it’s still convenient to keep your laptop/tablet in this compartment and when going through scans, just unzip it, fold it flat and place its contents (and other things if you wish) on top rather than in a seperate tray.
- Lockable Zippers – If security is a concern for you and you want to keep your backpack’s compartments locked, then zip pullers with padlock holes are essential.
- Ventilated Back – Fortunately, practically all well designed laptop backpacks have a padded backing that’s designed in a way where air is able to flow through the middle and sides. Not only is there a good amount of comfortable padding for long journeys, but your back will also dry quicker if you begin to sweat.
- Luggage Handle Pass – There are times when you will want and need to take off your backpack, and if you’re travelling with a rolling suitcase too, it’s extremely handy to have an opening on the backpack where you can insert the suitcase’s telescopic handle through. The backpack will then sit securely on top of the suitcase so you can roll both around.
- Hand Luggage – You’ll probably want to take your backpack on the plane if you’re flying as it’ll have valuable and invaluable contents that you just cannot risk being mixed up with checked in luggage. Unless you have a huge hiking backpack, then chances are your laptop backpack will be able to be carried on the plane as hand luggage.
Our 10 Best Laptop Backpacks Reviewed
1. Wenger 600631 LEGACY
The Wenger 600631 LEGACY ticks nearly all boxes of a laptop backpack that’s ideal for travelling with – it has a velcro sealable checkpoint friendly laptop section, a luggage handle pass and enough compartments to keep the most organised of people happy.
The backpack incorporates the SWISSGUARD protection system which is basically a triple-layer foam that’s designed to absorb shocks better if you were to drop your backpack.
It also has straps at the front and back so you can clip/attach items on them. It looks professional yet rugged and best of all, it has an excellent price point that makes it difficult for business travellers to pass up on.
2. Dell Tek
Some business travellers don’t like bringing their entire office with them on their travels. If you also prefer to carry only what’s necessary, then the Dell Tek is a lightweight laptop backpack that’s small enough to easily fit between your legs on a flight while still having enough compartments to organise your contents properly.
Some notable features include a dedicated tablet pocket, water resistant fabrics for its exterior, a handy quick access pocket at the front and a wide luggage handle pass that’s a lot more secure than the thin poly strap seen on some backpacks. Oh, and it’s also the least expensive model on our list of best laptop backpacks.
3. Thule Crossover 32L
The main focus on durability and security has made the Thule Crossover 32L a must-have for adventurous and security conscious business travellers. With a generous 32 litre storage capacity, it holds a good amount of items inside its robust construction.
Put your high valuable portable items such as your mobile phone or designer sunglasses in the crush-proof top compartment, and shove a magazine, newspaper or a jacket in the large quick access pocket at the large front compression pocket.
The laptop compartment is simple but clever as it combines a laptop insert with a tablet insert, saving you the convenience of sifting through the compartments looking for your tablet. It seems like Thule has thought of nearly everything and presented it in this aesthetically pleasing and well engineered travel companion.
4. Wenger SwissGear Blue IBEX
If organisation is a top priority for you, then the multitude of compartments that the SwissGear Blue IBEX laptop offers is practically guaranteed to put a smile on your face. It has a total of 7 zipper compartments, two compressed side pockets and an assortment of pockets inside.
Understandably, durability is always a concern when your backpack is full to the brim, but the backpack made by Wenger reassures its wearer with a reinforced top handle, triple layer shock absorbing foam for its laptop pocket and reinforced stabilizing base.
5. SEAGULL Black 15.6”
The best laptop backpack for capacity on our list is the SEAGULL Black, making it ideal for those who need to pack more than usual. It adopts a more simplistic design so there aren’t as many exterior compartments when compared to Wenger models, but it makes up for it in storage space and an array of interior compartments.
The shoulder straps have a useful sunglass holder and mobile phone pocket. The subtle neoprene top handle is also comfortable and easy to hold which you’ll appreciate when you’re in a rush getting off buses and trains.
6. Wenger 600637 CARBON
If you’re on the hunt for a durable laptop backpack that can hold a large 17 inch Apple MacBook Pro, the Wenger 600637 fits the bill as it’s specifically designed for that purpose. Though it’s marketed as a Mac bag, it can of course hold other laptops as long as they don’t exceed the limit.
Like much of Wenger’s other premium laptop backpacks, the CARBON can stand upright due to its CaseBase Stabilizing Platform and it has shock absorbing shoulder straps to reduce strain on your shoulders when carrying a full backpack.
A top quick access compartment marked by its red zipper is convenient and the reinforced handle adds durability when carrying it with one hand. The blue markers located where the zippers begin and ends are not only useful for quickly locating the pullers, but they add character to what would otherwise be a plain black backpack.
7. Targus TBB013EU EcoSpruce
While it doesn’t look as sleek or serious as some of the other bags on our best laptop backpacks list, the Targus EcoSpruce has a unique selling point to it – it’s completely made from recycled materials.
Some other notable features is the water-resistant bottom should you accidentally sit it down on a wet surface and an ear phone clip on one of the shoulder straps. The fabric is essentially made from recycled plastic bottles but don’t worry, because its still durable and well constructed, and the lifetime warranty should further solidify Targus’ faith in their product.
8. Case Logic DLBP114K
The Case Logic DLBP114K is a lightweight, relatively slim and smart looking laptop backpack that’s perfect for school or work. The quilted padding on the front offers a unique design and extra protection for contents in the front compartment.
Essentially, it only has two main compartments – the front and the back where the laptop compartment resides. There are two zippered side pockets that zips down sideways (which is faster than the zips that go all the way around the pocket) and a top wide zip pocket on top of the bag.
One thing we all appreciate is the velcro secure that keeps excess strap material rolled up instead of flailing around looking messy and getting caught on things.
9. Belkin F8N159
If you’re after a slim and basic laptop backpack, then the Belkin F8N159 is probably as slim and basic you’re going to get. It’s designed to hold a large 17 inch laptop, some accessories and you should also be able to fit a book, magazine or tablet in there too.
It doesn’t have many exterior compartments but it has inside pockets to organise cards, pens and other bits and bobs. It also comes with a seperate zipper pouch, ideal for holding small accessories such as cables and memory sticks.
10. Belkin F8N179
Presenting a sleek and professional black with silver hardware appearence, the Belkin F8N179 is aimed at business travellers who value simplicity and organisation above all.
There aren’t a whole lot of bells and whistles here, but it’s an effective backpack that has two main compartments – one to hold up to a 15.6 inch laptop and a tablet/books/documents and the other for all your accessories.
There are also two zipper side pockets and a front zipper compartment that’s almost hidden from plain view. The feet at the base adds stability to the backpack when it’s standing upright. All-in-all, it’s an inexpensive laptop backpack for professionals that’s not too bulky and heavy.